0“Speaking Opportunites are Business, Career, and Leadership Opportunities!”
Have you ever been expected to, or wanted to:
- Make a Speech.
- Deliver a Presentation.
- Present an Award.
- Accept a Prize.
- Introduce a Speaker.
- Toast a Bride and Groom.
- Hold a Press Conference.
- Conduct an Interview.
- Be a Master of Ceremonies.
- Deliver a Eulogy.
- Facilitate a Meeting.
- Attend a Networking Event.
- Give an Elevator Speech.
- Tell a group about a trip you recently took.
- Give a “How To” on a topic.
- Make a Sales Presentation.
- Be Interviewed.
- Ask a Question at a Public Forum.
- And More!
Speaking, in any of the above situations, can be Powerful! It can do amazing things for your career, business, and self-esteem. Individuals who present well are perceived as Experts. We like to work with Experts.
Reviewing the list shows the activity does not have to be a prepared and polished presentation in front of a large audience. At one of my first Toastmaster meetings I was told, “If you have the ability to talk with an audience, your one-on-one will improve immensely. Taking part in a discussion group or talking one-on-one are also “Speaking Opportunities”
A typical call for coaching information often sounds like this:
“I’m sick and tired of people who don’t work as hard as I do and don’t contribute as much to the company, receiving recognition, bonuses, and sometimes promotions! They’re getting those things because they are “Speaking.” Many don’t do it well, but they’re doing it, and I’m not. Can you help me?”
Other inquiries, often from very successful doctors, lawyers, and other professionals, might be:
“I know my presentations are good. I also know they can be better and want to take them to the next level. Let’s have a conversation to help me understand how you work.”
For many, it can also be – SCARY!
Seventy-five percent of the population, to one degree or another, has a Fear of Public Speaking. It is a fear worth confronting. You may never completely rid yourself of the anxiety of speaking to others – that’s OK! Take that nervous energy and channel it into your talks. A presentation without energy can be b-o-r-i-n-g!
My best advice for lessening the Fear of Public Speaking and becoming a Better Speaker is simple:
SPEAK! – SPEAK! – SPEAK!
Think about it:
• If you want to become a great swimmer – SWIM!
• If you want to become a master baker – BAKE!
• If you want to lessen the Fear of Public Speaking and Become a better Speaker –
What’s the worse that could happen?
• The swimmer comes in last.
• The baker’s cake falls.
• The speaker makes a fool of themselves.
• BIG DEAL! It’s a drop in the ocean of their lives.
Face the Fear and do it anyway!
Follow this advice and I guarantee your next presentation will be absolutely, positively –
About the Author
Fred E. Miller is a speaker, a coach, and the author of the book,
“NO SWEAT Public Speaking!” and “NO SWEAT Elevator Speech!”
Businesses, Individuals, and Organizations hire him because they want to improve their
Networking, Public Speaking, and Presentation Skills.
They do this because they know:
Speaking Opportunities are Business, Career, and Leadership Opportunities.
They also know:
We perceive really great speakers to be Experts, and we like to work with Experts.
He shows them how to:
Develop, Practice, and Deliver ‘Knock Your Socks Off Presentations!’ with –
- Keynote Speaker
- Workshop Facilitator
- Breakout Sessions
- Public Speaking and Presentation Coaching
- Lessening The Fear of Public Speaking with – NO SWEAT!
- Crafting Your Elevator Speech, Floor by Floor with – NO SWEAT!
- Speaking Opportunities are Business, Career, and Leadership Opportunities.
- We are All Self-Employed!
Fred E. Miller