Over five years ago, I wrote a post, “There’s NO App for That!”
NOW, there ARE apps for THAT and MORE. . .
For Developing, Practicing, and Delivering. . .
Mind Mapping is the “Swiss Army Knife for the Brain!” It is a non-linear, visual, brainstorming tool that can be used for decision-making, problem-solving, strategic planning and a variety of other brain related activities. It is also an awesome tool for developing, practicing and delivering presentations! There are a number of great apps for Mind Mapping. I use Inspiration. It is cross-platform and easy to use. Here is a Speaker’s Template developed with this application.
Before you get on stage. . .
Glossophobia is the Fear of Public Speaking. If you have this fear, you are not alone. Up to seventy-five percent of the population, to one degree or another, shares this with you. It is an equal opportunity fear and doesn’t care about your age, education, or occupation.
Those “butterflies in our stomach” can be very distracting to the goal of giving a great presentation. We don’t want to completely rid ourselves of this anxiety. We should take that nervous energy and put it into our presentations. A presentation without energy can be B-o-r-i-n-g! If you’ve ever sat thru one you know what I’m talking about. Toastmasters, the international leadership and public speaking organization, suggests we get those butterflies to “Fly in Formation!” Great advice!
Confident Public Speaking (iOS and Android) is an app that can lower that anxiety. Some of the features are:
• A powerful hypnosis audio session for confident public speaking.
• Relax Completely.
• Let Go of Fear & Anxiety.
• Total Relaxation in ten minutes.
• Additional tips for overcoming phobias and anxiety.
Public Speaking is an Android app that offers guided meditation and a self-hypnosis program that will help you relax and minimize the anxiety of speaking in front of crowds.
Ummms, uhhhs, and phrases such as: “you know,” “like,” and others are distractions to your presentations. Toastmaster Clubs have “Ah Counters” to help speakers catch and stop those “fillers.”
Ummo (iOS) is an app that will track and help lessen them and will provide.
- A speech coach for you to use anytime, anywhere.
- A annotated speech transcript that helps you review your speech.
- Word frequencies and locations for your most-used words and your Fillers.
- Pace and volume over time, at the word level.
- Length of pauses and where they occurred.
- Clarity, Accents, and feedback on your pronunciation.
For the simulated experience of practicing in front of an audience, there is VirtualSpeech (IOS and Android). This virtual reality app provides a realistic VR training platform for public speaking events, allowing you to master your speaking skills. You need a VR headset as well as the app for the experience.
Your personal prompter.
President Obama is the master of the teleprompter. He is the best at using this device that helps a speaker deliver a prepared presentation by “reading” it. There are several teleprompter apps:
- A Prompter (for Android)
- TelePrompter (for iOS)
- PrompsterPro (for iOS and Android)
- PromptSmart (for iOS)
- PromptSmart is the first ever voice recognition-enabled teleprompter app for iPhone and iPad. PromptSmart will follow your every word during your speech, automatically scrolling the text at your natural pace in real time. (This feature sets it apart from other teleprompter apps.)
Timing is important!
Most speakers are allotted a specific number of minutes for their presentation. Not abiding by that time period can infringe on the time of other speakers. You don’t want that done to you and don’t want to do it to others. Your cell phone has a timing function that will remind you, with a vibration, of the time you set. There are several other timing apps.
- SpeakerClock (for iOS) has BIG Red LED digits that allow you to see the timer even at a great distance so you are free to move while you give the talk of your life. The app emulates the famous countdown clock that all speakers at TED conferences need to adhere to.
- Toastmaster Timer (Android) uses a traffic-light system, many Toastmaster Clubs use, that goes from green to yellow to red as you near the end of your scheduled talk time.
Try the above Apps for developing, practicing and delivering your next presentation. Do that and I guarantee it will be absolutely, positively – NO SWEAT!