Use a Digital Recorder to
Capture those thoughts ‘In the Moment!’
We’re exercising, walking, driving or maybe just sitting at a coffee shop and an idea for a speech, or a story to make a point in one, comes to us. We don’t have a pen or paper handy, but we mentally promise ourselves to start working on it when we have the opportunity. Many times that doesn’t happen because we forget that great idea – Bummer!
Yoga teaches to be ‘Always present and In the Moment’. This makes great sense for speakers because what’s happening NOW might be potential material for a new presentation or a delivery technique to add to a speech already in your ‘portfolio’.
Great speakers always update their material and consider all the speeches and techniques they ‘own’ to be works in progress.
Too many ideas have gone unused because they haven’t been ‘recorded’ for future use.
The answer: Have a good quality digital recorder always with you.
I recently replaced the one I had for many years. When it finally wore out and I went almost two weeks without one, I again realized how important and useful these devices are.
The ease of use, quality of recording, and great features make a recorder mandatory for me. This one, an Olympus Model VN 6200PC, meets all my needs and more.
- It offers several folders so I can put my thoughts into different subject areas.
- It can record for 440 hours.
- It can link to my computer and download the recordings.
- There is a voice activation feature that extends recording time and saves battery life.
- It’s much smaller than a cell phone, so carrying it in my pocket is very convenient.
- There is a large LCD for easy, quick viewing of file locations, recording status and Battery life.
- Individual messages can be deleted.
- And other features I haven’t even discovered yet.
Get one of these and keep it with you at all times. I can’t tell you how many great ideas I’ve had when I was _________ (you fill in the blank.)
Additionally, use it to record, and listen to, your practices and presentations.
Purchase a good digital recorder and constantly use it to record speech ideas. Then, diligently and regularly put those ideas into your talks. Do this and Your speech will be: absolutely; positively; there’s no doubt in my mind; no ifs, ands, or buts about it; Your speech will be – No Sweat!