When you hear Elevator Speeches do you purchase all the products and services being pitched? Of course not, and don’t expect everyone hearing your Elevator Speech, either in front of a group (Elevator Speech Template and Worksheet), or One-On-One (EXPRESS Elevator Speech Template), to be a potential client. It just doesn’t work that way, does it?
The Goals of a Great Elevator Speech start with:
Everyone knowing exactly what you do. Clarity is not optional. As is the goal with all communication, they must GET IT!
They should have one or more of these three thoughts when hearing a great Elevator Speech.
- I need this and I need it now!
- Before she leaves this room I’m going to talk to her and set an appointment to learn more about her offerings.
- I know what he does, but I don’t need it now.
- If ever I consider a product or service like that, I’ll contact them.
- I’m impressed with their expertise and offering. I’ll feel comfortable having a conversation with them and learning more.
- Because I am clear about what they do and confident they are an expert, my radar is now up for referring them.
- Someone expressing a need for those products and services will remind me to recommend that person, confident each will thank me for making the connection.
When the Elevator Speech is One-On-One there is an additional goal:
Do not waste major time on minor possibilities!
The time allocated for One-On-One Elevator Speeches is usually limited. A typical scenario is:
“The program begins at six o’clock. Please arrive thirty minutes early and network.”
If you’re selling boat trailers and delivering your Elevator Speech to someone who doesn’t own a boat and has a fear of water, they most likely are not a prospect. Don’t waste their time or yours. Sure, they might know a boat owner who needs one, but with time being precious, you’ll both benefit moving on to another attendees. DIS-Qualify them using the EXPRESS Elevator Speech!
Here is an EXPRESS Elevator Speech Example using one of my services.
Let’s assume attendees, who arrived early, are wearing name tags. Barry approaches me and asks, “What do you do, Fred?”
“Thank you, Barry, for asking. I’m going to answer your question by asking you one.
“Have you ever been in an audience watching and listening to a speaker, and thinking: That guy is good. I mean, he is really good. He’s articulate, authentic, and very entertaining. Obviously, he has a passion for what he’s presenting and I’m getting a lot out of this presentation. Man, I wish I could do that.”
I pause, then continue:
“I’m the guy they hire to develop, practice, and deliver presentations like that.
Hopefully, Barry would say, “Let’s get together.” We would exchange cards. Now is not the time for selling.
If they haven’t said anything, I immediately go to DIS-Qualify them and state:
“Everyone who hires me knows: Speaking opportunities are business, career, and leadership opportunities. That makes sense, doesn’t it?”
The final step is to quickly ask:
“You probably don’t know anyone who wants to improve their public speaking and presentation skills, do you?”
If Barry replies, “Yes! We need to talk,” or “Yes, I know someone I need to refer you to.”
Super! We’ll exchange contact information for following up later.
If they don’t have an interest, that’s perfectly fine, also. They’ve been DIS-Qualified! Move on to someone else before the program starts.
That’s the EXPRESS Elevator Speech! Develop your EXPRESS Elevator Speech.
The Template is HERE!
This stuff works!
Till next time, this is Fred Miller, “NO SWEAT Public Speaking!”
Businesses, Individuals, and Organizations hire him because they want to improve their Networking, Public Speaking, and Presentation Skills.
They do this because they know:
Speaking Opportunities are Business, Career, and Leadership Opportunities.
They also know:
We perceive really great speakers to be Experts, and we like to work with Experts.
He shows them how to:
Develop, Practice, and Deliver ‘Knock Your Socks Off Presentations!’ with –
- Keynote Speaker
- Workshop Facilitator
- Breakout Sessions
- Personal and Group Public Speaking and Presentation Coaching
- Lessening The Fear of Public Speaking with – NO SWEAT!
- Crafting Your Elevator Speech, Floor by Floor with – NO SWEAT!
- Speaking Opportunities are Business, Career, and Leadership Opportunities.
- We are All Self-Employed!